Due to an office closure I'm now unemployed for the first time since my sophomore year of High School. Here is a copy of my resume and a link to my resume in Word format.
David J. Schmidt
7415 E. Tower Mt. Lane
Spokane, WA 99223
Over 20 years of professional experience in software engineering, network
engineering and network security in the banking and telecommunications
industries. Experience in software development, software testing, network
design, network troubleshooting.
* My strongest skill is my ability to rapidly learn new skills and systems
and to understand not only how they work, but also why.
* Computer Languages: Embedded C, C++ Perl, TCL.
* Operating Systems: Development and system administration for Unix (Linux).
Cisco IOS. Strong Windows and Windows Office tools user.
* Protocols: TCP/IP suite (IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP), SNMP, HTTP, XML, CGI, DNS,
FTP, SMTP, RIP, OSPF and BGP.
ALCATEL, SPOKANE, WA
1998 - Present
(Formerly Packet Engines, Inc.)
Senior Software Engineer, 1999 - Present
* Sole engineer responsible for enhancing and maintaining the OSPF routing
protocol code on the Alcatel Omnicore gigabit switch/routers.
* Awarded Alcatel Employee of the Quarter for performing duties beyond the
call of my job description.
* Stepped up for an emergency flight to Italy on one day's notice for a
sales support call where a product presentation was improvised (after
being told one wasn't expected) and kept Alcatel in the running for a
multi-million dollar account.
* Member of the Command Line Interface (CLI) group and developed an XML
based CLI Parsing engine.
* Developed targeted test procedures for the BGP routing protocol during
initial BGP development.
* Chosen to present BGP product in interoperability testing to a large
potential customer in Beijing, China.
* Innovated a new IP Source Based Routing method which Alcatel has chosen
Quality Assurance Automation Engineer, 1998 - 1999
* Envisioned and implemented automated tools for Quality Assurance testing
of routing switches, allowing 10 times more tests to be run in the same
amount of time.
* Championed our switch/router through various vendor test labs, using
expertise to accentuate our switches strengths and mask its weaknesses
to generate top reviews.
* Member of the 1998 Networld - Interop Network Operations Center team (NOC
Team) promoting the use of our switch/router when another vendor's product
INTERNET VENTURES, Inc, SPOKANE, WA
1994 - 1998
(Formerly Internet On-Ramp, Inc.)
Founder, Internet On-Ramp, Inc. 1994 - 1995
* Founded Internet On-Ramp, an Internet Service Provider (ISP).
* Involved in every aspect of operating a new business; configuring new
equipment (5 Linux servers, 3 Cisco routers, 300+ modems, etc.), setting
up the company books, writing billing software and hiring / supervising
* Sustained a 15% monthly growth rate in subscriber count and revenue to
become Spokane's largest locally owned ISP.
Regional Vice President, Internet Ventures, Inc. 1995 - 1998
* Merged Internet On-Ramp in 1995 with Internet Ventures, Inc., a west
coast provider of cable Internet solutions.
* Managed all Pacific Northwest IVI operations.
* Installed first Cable Internet operation for IVI in Ventura, CA.
* Performed due diligence on potential acquisitions in California and
OLIVETTI NORTH AMERICA, SPOKANE, WA
1982 - 1994
(Formerly ISC-Bunker Ramo, who was formerly ISC Systems Corporation.)
Senior Software Engineer 1982 - 1994
* Built a TCP/IP based network on top of company's existing X.25 network
which inter-connected 30+ field offices with company headquarters.
* Designed / engineered TCP/IP based network for largest customer (Citibank)
which interconnected all bank branches.
* Designed a TCP/IP based file distribution program which allowed banks
to rapidly update software releases and rate table information to all
* Implemented connection to the global Internet and configured all Internet
services including e-mail, Usenet News, FTP, DNS and WWW.
* Maintained and enhanced TCP/IP code used on company's main product.
Ported system programs using that TCP/IP code including FTP, SNMP,
E-mail and DNS to run on the company's product.
* Wrote the MSDOS RAM BIOS interface for company's first PC product.
(8088 assembly language)
* Wrote the CP/M BIOS and maintained the CP/M product which ran on
company's bank teller hardware. (Z-80 assembly language)
Math / Computer Science coursework, Eastern Washington University,
Wide variety of corporate sponsored continuing education.
VOLUNTEER / COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Volunteer radio operator - Spokane City / County Emergency Services
Volunteer big brother with Big Brothers and Sisters
Officer, Porsche Club of America - Inland Northwest Region